Floor Frame

Front Window

September 24, 2015 Comments (0) Teardrop

Walls, Floor and More!

A lot has gotten done since my last post. After considering options for sealing the floor I decided to go with the Henry Roof emulsion. It was the cheapest method and turned out to be easy and cleaner than I thought it would be. IMG_2533

I started with 2 4×8 sheets of 1/2 in ply for the floor. I cut each so that they would join in the middle of the trailer and floor frame. I used my level as a guide and cut with the skill saw.

IMG_2534

I used two coats of the roof emulsion. After the first coat dried the second was applied in the opposite direction. I bought a $5 roofing brush to use and it was well worth having.

IMG_2537

After the sealer was dry the pieces were screwed down to the frame. For the side walls I used 3/4 inch plywood. I decided to go with the cheaper un-sanded sheathing. I will be covering the exterior with metal so nothing fancy is needed. I made a tool for marking the radius of the front and rear cuts on the ply based on the instructions from the generic benroy plans. To get the correct look it is very important to measure the right locations for the axis points. After that was marked it was easy to get the right lines drawn. We used a jig saw to cut the walls one at a time.

IMG_2538IMG_2541

After the walls were cut we marked and cut the doors. My brother suggested changing the curve on the door to match the profile of the camper wall. Most that I have seen cut the straight edge of the door (the hinge side) so that it opens toward the front of the camper. We flipped it. We were able to do this since the camper hangs over the wheels and there is no fender to get in the way.

IMG_2543

With this change, the door can open fully and rest against the camper wall. I may have to open the door wider to step out but I think the look is improved and will function better over all.

IMG_2545

We attached the walls along the side of the floor frame. For the front wall I used 1/2 inch ply up to where the curve begins. For the roof spans I ripped a 2×4 down the middle. This saved a lot of money and was easy to do with the table saw. The boards are spaced about every 8 inches. This was all done in one Saturday. From this point The work will be done in smaller steps when I have time in the evenings after work or on weekends. I am very happy with the progress I made with Ethan’s help today!

IMG_2666[1]

IMG_2551[1]

 

Comments are closed.

UA-58707023-1